Tips to keep fit while traveling
Just because you’re hitting the road doesn’t mean you have to let your fitness routine go flying out the window! These days, everybody knows how important it is to stay healthy and what a big role fitness plays. Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa has top-notch fitness and recreation facilities, but keeping fit on the road starts at home. The Mayo Clinic has some great tips for staying fit while traveling, including these suitcase essentials:
- Athletic shoes (consider wearing them while you travel if they’re bulky and take up too much suitcase space)
- Exercise clothing. Believe it or not, you can work out in Tucson almost year round. Also, most resorts and hotels now have their own gyms, including us. So even if the weather isn’t right outdoors, you can still get in a quick workout.
- Swimsuit. Much like working out, Tucson’s weather is great for swimming most of the year. Be sure to pack up your swim trunks for any vacation, as you never know when the mood will strike.
- Other essentials include workout gloves, music and headphones and maybe even a workout DVD to keep you on track.
And here are some suggestions to get in some exercise while traveling:
- If you’re driving, take frequent breaks, get out and stretch or take a short walk around a rest area to boost your mood and energy level.
- If you’re stuck in a convention hall all day, walk up and down the halls during breaks or climb a set of stairs.
- Get a set or two of jumping jacks or march in place in your room before you start your day to get your energy up.
- If you’ve gotten jet lag, don’t skip your exercise routine, but take it easier than usual. You’d be surprised how much exercise can get you energized and over jet lag!
- If you’re traveling by train, walk through the cars occasionally and take a stroll during stops.
Whether you are traveling to Tucson or elsewhere for vacation or business, keeping fit is essential to getting the most out of your trip (and, let’s face it, life!). Check out the place you’re visiting and don’t be shy about taking advantage of what that city offers. Tucson, for instance, is one of the top cities best-suited for fitness and walking, according to Prevention magazine and the American Podiatric Medical Association. Tucson also is a top cycling destination. Hope to see you on the trails soon!